05 September 2010

Commentary on John Henry Cardinal Newman

In a recent post in the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Media Blog, Sister Mary Ann Walsh, RSM, (Director of Media Relations for USCCB) writes about the upcoming beatification of John Henry Cardinal Newman.

"The beatification of John Henry Cardinal Newman on September 19 in Birmingham, England, may not draw much media attention, but it is still noteworthy." After this introduction, Sr. Mary Ann writes about the internal struggles John Newman faced before converting to Catholicism from Anglicanism. She also writes about the challenges he faced after his conversion.

Sr. Mary Ann includes his poem (a prayer, really), “The Pillar of Cloud,”one that I have run across a number of times over the years, a prayer which contains an attitude, a spirit, appropriate for anyone facing serious challenges, for anyone living the adventure we call life:

     Lead, Kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
     Lead Thou me on!
     The night is dark, and I am far from home –
     Lead Thou me on!
     Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
     The distant scene, -- one step enough for me,
     I was not ever thus, nor pray’d that Thou
     Shouldst lead me on.
     I loved to choose and see my path; but now
     Lead Thou me on!
     I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
     Pride ruled my will; remember not past years.
     So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still
     Will lead me on,
     O’er moon and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
     The night is gone;
     And with the morn those angel faces smile
     Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

To read Sister Mary Ann's complete post, please visit:

Sr. Mary Ann Walsh, RSM: John Henry Newman: Heart Speaks to Heart

For more information about John Henry Newman, please visit:

National Institute for Newman Studies: Newman Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment