01 March 2015

Mark Shea on the Truth Contained within Catholic Church Teaching

"Not infrequently, Catholics are asked to give reasons for why they are Catholic. This, in itself, is not a bad thing. After all, St. Peter himself says 'Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you' (1 Peter 3:15). What is often troubling, however, is the account we give. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard Catholics 'make defenses' in this way:

"'I'm Catholic because it suits my personal life style. Being a Catholic just feels right to me. Plus, the Catholic Faith can help us weather the many changes of a hectic and uncertain world. Its family values are solid, it has a good school system, and it strikes a good balance between being too conservative and too liberal. I just like the special feeling I get at Christmas and Easter. Ritual and a touch of mysticism is important to psychological health.'"

In a recent commentary, writer Mark Shea reflected on the Truth contained within the teachings of the Catholic Church (especially as it relates to the Eucharist).

To access Mark's complete post, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Mark Shea: Because It's True (26 FEB 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment