24 December 2012

Msgr. Pope on God Being Able to Find Us

“Children often have problems with generalization and conceptualization. For example, when I was very young I was told that Jesus lived in the tabernacle. Fine I thought, then that must mean there is furniture and stuff in there. So when the priest opened the tabernacle up on the high altar, I earnestly looked for the furniture and perhaps the little stair case going to a second floor, much like my sister’s dollhouse was set up. . . .

“Yet another struggle I had was when I was told were going to move from Chicago to Florida. I asked my mother, ‘How will God be able to find me if we move?’ I was actually quite concerned that even if He could find me, He might not want to walk that far to see me. I guess you might say I thought of God in a very localized way, a kind of local deity. Mother of course tried to reassure me but I wasn’t so sure.”

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on how God is more present to us that we are to ourselves, more knowing of us than we know ourselves.

To access Msgr. Pope’s complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: Will God Still Be Able to Find Me? A Meditation based on an endearing Christmas Commercial (21 DEC 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment