18 August 2014

Kathryn Jean Lopez on Our Call to Prayer

"Last Sunday night, I was channel surfing. I had turned on the TV in primetime to see if there was an update on the grave situation in Iraq, especially for Christians and other religious minorities there. There wasn’t. But I did happen upon Dead Poets Society, the 1989 movie starring Robin Williams as a dynamic literature teacher at an elite boys’ private school.

"Back when the film came out, both my parents were Catholic schoolteachers, so I remember always being grateful for the positive portrayal of teachers in the movie. I was also grateful to see someone else memorize Latin declensions.

"On Sunday night, whether in thanksgiving or due to some other prompting, I immediately prayed for Robin Williams.

"Truth be told, it was only a Hail Mary or two. I could have done more.

"Couldn’t we always?

"On Monday when the news came that he had been found dead of an apparent suicide that morning, I immediately wondered: What if every Christian who had ever laughed at a Robin Williams joke or had ever been entertained by him had prayed for him?"

In a recent post, Kathryn Jean Lopez, editor at large of National Review Online and nationally syndicated columnist, reflected on how celebrities are people, fellow human beings made in the image and likeness of God and susceptible to the same temptations and demons as other people.

She further reflects that, by not praying for those in need, we may be participating in the “throwaway society” Pope Francis talks about.

To access her complete post, please visit:

Catholic Pulse: Mork and Mary (15 AUG 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment