17 August 2014

On Losing Sight of the Shore

"I sat quietly in a small room at the hospital waiting to pick up x-rays to take to my doctor. I had discovered a lump in my neck and had tests run. I was nervous as I sat waiting. I observed my surroundings, eyeing everything I could possibly look at, so that I could keep my mind busy. I didn’t need to self-diagnose, and I was in danger of doing just that as I waited.

"On the wall in front of me was a series of photocopied papers, some cut in small pieces while others were left whole. On each I read a quote. There were a few that I’m sure were for humorous purposes, but there were others, I was confident, were placed on the wall for people like me – nervous, waiting, and wondering what news we might receive that day. My eyes quickly settled on one quote and I got out the little notebook I carry around in my purse. I hastily scribbled down the words and shoved the book back in my purse. I didn’t want to appear weird. Sometimes seeing someone frantically writing in a notebook can make others feel uncomfortable. Still, I knew I wanted to remember those words.

"'You can never cross the ocean if you don’t have the courage to lose sight of the shore.'"

In a recent commentary, writer Michelle Fritz reflected on this quote and on how it may apply to one's faith life and secular life and on how it is important to trust in God and allow Him to change us.

To access her complete post, please visit:

Catholic Stand: To Lose Sight of the Shore (6 AUG 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment