15 May 2018

Bradley Birzer on an Odyssey that Changed His Faith Life

"The most fateful university holiday I ever experienced was way back in February 1988. Yes, during that magical and mystical decade of the 1980s. Back when we had a great president, and when Americans felt great pride in the leadership of Western civilization.

"Though I was officially enrolled at the University of Notre Dame, I spent the entire 1987-1988 school year - my sophomore year of college - at our sister school in Austria, the University of Innsbruck. I arrived in Austria in July of 1987, and I departed in July of 1988. During the academic year there, fall semester ended on the last day of January, and spring semester didn’t begin until March 1. A full month of exploration is just too close to heaven for a twenty-year-old. The possibilities seemed endless . . .

"After much thought and little planning, I decided to travel with two friends to North Africa for the break. I'd never been there, and my Eurail pass, amazingly enough, covered Morocco. Armed with little more than bravado, I visited not just my first non-Judeo-Christian country, but also my first third-world country in one fell swoop. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Bradley J. Birzer on an adventure in Morocco that helped lead him into "an adult understanding of the Catholic faith."

To access Mr. Birzer's complete post, please visit:

The Imaginative Conservative: Surprised by Faith: My Moroccan Odyssey (1 MAR 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment