18 August 2021

Fr. Dwight Longenecker on Why One Should Be Good

"I woke up this morning early (as I always do in the summer) and wondered why on earth I ought to be good. Really. What’s the point? Why would anybody be motivated to be good?

"I immediately thought of some reasons why we ought to be good and none of them really impressed me and inspired me to be good. . . .

"This is where so much religion goes wrong. We follow the religion and try to be good enough. But we can't so we fall into hypocrisy, anger and frustration and we use the rules not only to beat up on ourselves, but worse - to beat up on others and blame them for their failures - projecting our flaws onto them."

In a recent commentary, Father Dwight Longenecker (parish priest at Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church, Greenville, SC) reflected on some real reasons to want to be good.

To access Fr. Longenecker's complete post, please visit:

Fr. Dwight Longenecker: Why Be Good? (22 JUN 21)

Background information:

Dwight Longenecker - Catholic priest and author

No comments:

Post a Comment