12 October 2021

Br. Benedict Marie Hernandez, O.P., on Spiritual Hunger

"At a convent of the Missionaries of Charity, my mother once made twelve bags of food to give to the homeless. She and the sisters then went to one of their usual spots in my hometown to hand out the bags of food, where there were never more than twelve people. However, upon arrival my mother discovered that there were, not twelve, but thirty-six homeless. Panicking, she told one of the sisters that they should go to another spot because there would not be enough bags of food for the crowd. The sister replied that my mother should start praying the Memorare prayer. So the sisters and my mother gathered the homeless together, prayed with them, and my mother proceeded to hand out the bags of food. When the last bag was handed out, everyone had a bag in their hands.

"This happened when I was a child, and because of it, the Gospel story of the Feeding of the Five Thousand has always struck a special cord in my heart. . . ." 

In a recent commentary, Brother Benedict Marie Hernandez, O.P., reflected on the connection between this event and Jesus ministering to his people through the sacrament of Holy Eucharist.

To access Br. Benedict's complete reflection, please visit:

Dominicana: Spiritual Hunger (11 OCT 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment