25 July 2022

Bishop Tobin on the Blessing of Music

"I confess to being a news junkie. I follow international, national and local news. I'm interested in political and religious events, in weather reports and happenings in the sports world. I watch the news in the morning during breakfast, at noon during lunch, and at night during dinner. I sleep with the radio on, usually listening to talk radio, and if I wake during the night, I check my phone to see what's happening in the world. It's a very bad habit, I know, and probably not good for the body, mind or soul.
 
"Once in a while, it all gets to be too much. Recently, with the flood of just awful news inundating us . . . I just couldn't take it anymore.
 
"So, instead of the watching the news while I ate, I 'watched' and listened to the music channels on cable TV - classical music, and easy listening music, aka 'elevator music,' in particular. My body relaxed and my blood pressure dropped almost immediately.
 
"It should'’t be a surprise that music, at least some music, has such a positive effect on us. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the blessing of music and its positive effects.

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit: 

The Imitation of Christ: Sometimes You Just Need A Little Music (2 JUN 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment