19 July 2022

Br. Thaddeus Pistrang, O.P., on God as the Lord

"'I Am the Lord, I Am the Lord. 

"This simple and direct phrase is repeated well over a hundred times throughout the Old Testament. We can easily dismiss this repetition merely as a part of the writing style in the Bible: God simply introducing himself to Abraham, Jacob, Moses, or anyone else. But if these instances are only introductions, they seem to be the introductions of a long separated friend, nearly forgotten. For when God uses this phrase, he also reminds Abraham: 'I am the Lord who brought you out from Ur of the Chaldeans' (Gen 15:7). He tells Jacob: 'I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac' (Gen 28:13). And he says to Moses: 'I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty' (Exod 6:2–3)."

In a recent commentary, Brother Thaddeus Pistrang, O.P., reflected on how we are precious, honored, and loved because God is the Lord

To access Br. Thaddeus' complete post, please visit: 

Dominicana: I Am the Lord, I Am the Lord (22 JUN 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment