21 December 2022

Fr. Michael Rennier on Why Saying 'Don't Judge Me' Isn't Quite Right

"'Don't judge me.'

"We've all heard it. Maybe we've even said it.

"The inevitable followup is, 'You do you. I'll do me.' Or even worse, 'I'm just living my truth. You live yours.' The first phrase at least makes me laugh, the second only makes me shake my head.

"There is a helpful virtue buried in the attitude that underlies those sayings, though."

In a recent commentary, Father Michael Rennier reflected on why "Christ is clear that a judgmental attitude is harmful" and also on the necessity of adhering to "some sort of collective truth which, even as it's acknowledged we all fall short of it (so let's be nice about it), is nevertheless a real, objective standard."

To access Fr. Rennier's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Fr. Michael Rennier: Why saying "don't judge me" isn't quite right (18 DEC 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment