19 April 2023

Fr. Longenecker on the Genius and Joy of Confession

"One of the joys (and chores) of a Catholic priest is to hear confessions. I say 'chore' because it is tiring to sit there for hours listening to what seems the same old stuff. I realize that for the penitent it is a guilty and often shameful worry and a great relief to make one's confession for I too am a penitent. I only express this very human feeling that I sometimes experience - but this human weariness disappears as I reflect on the joy and wonder of the sacrament.

"This is hammered home to me each year as I hear the first confessions of our first Holy Communion children. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Father Dwight Longenecker (parish priest at Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church, Greenville, SC) reflected on the blessing of the sacrament of Reconciliation, with its opportunity for "ordinary men and women, boys and girls [to accept] the reality of being responsible for themselves" and to ask God for help.

To access Fr. Longenecker's complete post, please visit:

Fr. Dwight Longenecker: The Genius and Joy of Confession (14 MAR 23)

Background information:

Dwight Longenecker - Catholic priest and author

No comments:

Post a Comment