29 December 2023

Matthew Becklo on Lessons from Augustine's Confessions

"It is appropriate to begin a piece on Augustine's Confessions with a confession: I am only now - 15 years after my own reversion to the Catholic faith and several years into working professionally in bookish ministry - reading it cover to cover. I must have read portions of it in college, but likely just the bare minimum to get by in class. I tried picking it up a few years after my reversion, but found it too dense to see it through. And over the years, I read so many of its passages and heard it discussed so often that - as often happens with the classics - I felt as though I had read it already.

"I hadn't. And reading the text in full for the first time, what has bowled me over is just how relevant Augustine's journey is, even in the high formal style of the Sheed translation. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Matthew Becklo reflected on some of the lessons one can learn from St.
Augustine's Confessions, including the truth that prayer works; God writes straight with crooked lines; and the life of the mind is good, helpful, and perfectly compatible with Christianity.

To access his complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Matthew Becklo: 10 Contemporary lessons from Augustine's Confessions (29 DEC 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment