23 February 2024

Br. Bruno McHale, O.P., on Penance Ponderings

"Several years ago I took up running for exercise. I have never been much of an athlete myself and I was not familiar with physical training in any official capacity. 

"When I arrived at the novitiate, one of the brothers who arrived with me was an athlete. He taught me how to pace myself. Before, I would always start super fast, never finishing without having to walk or take a break. I would always fall behind and my brother would usually finish the route, then run back and join me until I finished. I had always thought running as fast as you could for as long as you could resulted in better running. After I started heeding the advice of my brother, I learned that I was plain wrong, and, in fact, my times improved the better I got at pacing."

In a recent commentary using the example of disc golf, Brother Bruno McHale, O.P., reflected on some of the similarities between athletic training and Lenten penances, including the need to pace oneself and the importance of perseverance.

To access Br. Bruno's complete post, please visit:

Dominicana: Ponderings Pertaining to Penances (16 FEB 24) 

No comments:

Post a Comment