25 February 2024

Msgr. Pope on Developaing Transformative Confessions

"For many people the Sacrament of Confession is experienced in a rather perfunctory way. Upon preparing to go to confession many are content to look at some matters pertaining to external behavior: 'I got angry with my children. . . . I had lustful thoughts. . . . I was distracted in prayer, or I didn't pray as much as I should. . . . I gossiped. . . . and so forth. While the confession of these sorts of things is good and proper it also remains true that,  for confession to really heal,  it is necessary to go deeper. It is necessary to examine the deeper drives and motives of sin; to examine not only what I have done, by to ponder why."

In a recent commentary Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on ways one can go deeper into our hearts and minds to discover what causes our sinful behavior.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: From Perfunctory Penitence to Compelling Confession In Four Easy Steps (20 FEB 24)

No comments:

Post a Comment