13 April 2012

T.J. Burdick on Being a Dangerous Catholic

“. . . I count myself as part of the majority of Catholics worldwide who, in every aspect of their life, are expected to live perfectly just as Jesus commanded us to (Matthew 5:48).  Who, then, is considered public enemy number one to the relativistic society in which we live?  The practicing Catholic who calls out the errors of the mediocre and shadows their claims with an onslaught of truth.

Oh yeh, I’m dangerous alright.

On the other hand, I am even more dangerous if I do not strive to live perfectly.  If Christ did found a Church and my entire baptized being has its roots in it, then my lack of study and practice of the doctrines of this Church (whether I agree with them or not) crack its foundation and allow the messiness of the world to leak in.  If I am not a perfect example of Christianity, I give Christ’s Bride, the Church, a poor name.”

In a recent commentary, T.J. Burdick reflected on one aspect of the potential influence of lay Catholics on our society.

To access Mr. Burdick’s complete post, please visit:

TeachCatholic: "I am a lay Catholic, which means I am very, very dangerous." (28 MAR 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment