14 January 2018

Msgr. Pope on Knowing Jesus for Oneself

"Every now and then someone will come to me and request parish services of some sort. Maybe it's to plan a wedding, a baptism, or a funeral; maybe it's to ask for money! Then I look at him or her and say, 'Who are you?' (since I don't recognize the person). 'Oh, you may not know me but my mother and grandparents go here; this is our family church.' 'I see, but where do you go to Mass?' I usually ask. The response is typically something like this: 'Well, you know how it is, Father. I don't get to Mass too often … but my mother comes every week!' 

"Well, I've got news for you: your Mama's faith isn't going to save you. You gotta have your own faith. You have to know Jesus for yourself. There are some things you just can't borrow. Once, you depended on your mother and ultimately the Church to announce the True Faith to you; at some point, though, you have to be able to claim the True Faith as your own. Your mother can't go to Mass for you and she can't believe for you."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the importance of knowing Jesus for oneself, not borrowing someone else's intimacy, relationship, readiness, or holiness.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says to Some, "I Never Knew You"? (11 JAN 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment