19 March 2017

Msgr. Pope on "Church-speak" and the Tendency to be Obscure


"Many groups have a tendency to use words that make sense to their members but are unintelligible to outsiders. I have sometimes had to decode 'Church-speak' for recent converts.

"For example, one time I proudly announced, 'RCIA classes will begin next week, so if you know anyone who is interested in attending please fill out an information card on the table just outside the sacristy door.' I thought I'd been perfectly clear, but then a new member approached me after Mass to inquire about the availability of classes to become Catholic and when they would begin. Wondering if she'd forgotten the announcement I reminded her what I had said about RCIA classes; she looked at me blankly. 'Oh,' I said, 'Let me explain what I mean by RCIA.' After I did so, I mentioned that she could pick up a flyer over by the sacristy door. Again I got a blank stare, followed by the question 'What's the sacristy?' Did I dare tell her that the classes would be held in the rectory?"

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the importance of using less jargon and more plain language when we are explaining the Church and its teaching to those who are not aware of the terminology.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: On "Church-speak" and the Tendency to be Obscure (7 FEB 17)

(Editorial note: The same advice also applies to work and other situations.)

No comments:

Post a Comment