08 January 2019

Jennifer Roback Morse on Implementing a “No-Defeatism Resolution" for 2019

"I have a New Year’s resolution for you to consider. My suggested resolution is doable. It will make a difference in the quality of your life. It will allow you to make a difference in the world around you, including the clergy sex-abuse crisis in the Catholic Church, and in the politics of your community. Give up defeatism.

"You know the sort of thing I mean. 'Western Civilization is collapsing. The Church is collapsing. Everyone is corrupt. I can't trust anyone.' Even worse, the defeatist thought pattern leads to the defeatist behavior pattern: 'Nothing can be done. So I will do nothing.'

"Sorry. No-go. None of us has the right to excuse ourselves from constructive action.

"Don’t misunderstand me: I’m not saying everything is hunky-dory. Far from it. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Jennifer Roback Morse, Ph.D., ( founder and president of the Ruth Institute) reflected on some ways one may implement a “No-Defeatism Resolution," including walking away from conversations that have no hope of changing anyone's mind and finding something constructive to do.

To access Dr. Morse's complete post, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Blogs: Jennifer Roback Morse: New Year’s Resolution: No More Defeatism (7 JAN 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment