21 February 2022

Bishop Tobin on Our Weakness Saving Us

"But the Lord said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So I will boast more gladly of my weakness in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and constraints for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12: 9-10)

"Over the years, I have found great consolation in these words of St. Paul. It's counter-intuitive for us to think of weakness being strength, but when it comes to our relationship with Jesus Christ, it's absolutely true.

"It's important to note that admitting our weakness isn't a cop-out, or defeatism, or an abdication of responsibility. Rather, it's simply an acceptance of the reality we deal with every day. But why is that?"

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on why our admission of weakness is acceptance of reality, including an acknowledgement of our sinfulness and imperfection and recognition that many things in life are beyond our control.

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit: 

The Imitation of Christ: Weakness Will Save Us (17 FEB 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment