16 March 2023

Fr. Jack Loughran, OSFS, on a Holistic Spirituality

"Tomorrow, every person of Irish descent and those who wish to be Irish, at least for a day, celebrate the great saint of Ireland, Patrick, and all that it means to be Irish. Being Irish is one of the characteristics of my life that I've known as long as I've known my last name. Growing up, I remember my father often saying to his eight children, 'Remember, you're a Loughran, you're Irish and you're Catholic.' My family's life centered on those three intertwined identities. . . . 

"There are many beautiful things about Irish culture, history and spirituality worth celebrating. As a Catholic, I recognize that ancient Celtic spirituality influenced the expression of Catholicism in Ireland. One aspect of Celtic spirituality is described well by the great spiritual writer Esther De Waal, 'The Celtic approach to God opens up a world in which nothing is too common to be exalted and nothing is so exalted that it cannot be made common. . . .'" 

In a recent commentary, Father Jack Loughran, OSFS, reflected on St. Francis de Sales and a holistic spirituality as exemplified by the Celtic people.

To access Fr. Loughran's complete post, please visit:

De Sales Weekly: Provincial's Reflection: A Holistic Spirituality (16 MAR 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment