03 October 2010

Reflections on Saint Thérèse

Many Catholics have a devotion to one or more of the saints in heaven. This is often the result of a connection the person feels with the particular saint – a connection that may be based on having gone through similar life events and/or on having the same occupation and/or any one of a number of other things.

Over the years I’ve developed a devotion to Saint Francis de Sales (patron saint of writers) and Saint John Bosco (patron saint of editors). Although I was initially attracted to each of these two saints because of the writing/editing connection, the connection became deeper as I read and reflected about these saints and their spirituality. I gradually embraced their spirituality, and it became more and more a part of my life.

One saint I did not pay a lot of attention to was Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus (a.k.a. Saint Thérèse of Lisieux or the Little Flower). I did though like and appreciate her effort at doing little things well.
I have known many people who had a deep devotion to her. I seem to remember my grandmother (Gramma Lopatosky – Dad’s mother) having a statue of Saint Thérèse. Saint Adalbert’s Parish in Providence (RI) held an annual novena to St. Thérèse. And the list could go on and on.

Probably my first in-depth introduction to the Little Flower was several years ago at a Saint Patrick School faculty day of renewal at Shrine of the Little Flower in Nasonville, RI. At this particular event, Sister Grace Coffey gave an in-depth background about Saint Thérèse.

After this day, I did come to appreciate this saint more. I also began to make her “little way” more a part of my life (it ties in very well with Salesian spirituality).

Last year I got laid off from St. Patrick School as it began its transition from a K-8 school to a high school. I did not know what the future would hold, but I was confident that the Lord would take care of everything in His time. I just had to do my part.

Sure enough – after putting out a number of résumés, doing a bit of networking, and applying for a number of different positions, I received one positive response (from an employee benefit administration company in East Providence). I was interviewed, but nothing happened for a while. Then I was called in to complete the hiring process – I had been accepted. The date I came in to complete this process – October 1st, the feast day of Saint Thérèse.

Not only that, but I had recently lost one of my rosaries (one I had received from EWTN), the one I usually carried in my pocket. Right around the the same time I was hired, I received a mailed set of rosary beads from a another St. Thérèse shrine (part of a promotional effort). I had these blessed by Father Bailey, our pastor, and this became the set I carry in my pocket.

I’m not one who believes in coincidences, and I find these two events very interesting. It is still a work in progress, but I do find myself praying a bit more for the intercession of Saint Thérèse, the Little Flower.

Background Information:

Shrine of the Little Flower, Nasonville, RI

Thérèse of Lisieux

No comments:

Post a Comment