14 November 2010

A Reminder of Our Interconnectedness

Bishop Paul D. Etienne, bishop of Cheyenne, WY, wrote a reflection yesterday about the interconnectedness of everything that we do.

He reminds me that every word of mine and every action of mine has an effect, however slight, on the world and its people. It is also a reminder that my neglected actions, actions I am supposed to do, also have an effect that touches everyone.

Bishop Etienne's words are a good encouragement to keep on with what I need to do, even if I don't feel like doing it.

To read Bishop Etienne's reflection, please visit:

Bishop Paul D. Etienne: Co-Workers in the Truth

In a way this reflection ties in with a quotation I read earlier today, a quotation by Saint Jane de Chantal  - "We cannot always offer God great things, but at all times we can offer God little things with great love." This in turn reminds me of the “little way” of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, who strove to do little things well, and of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, who said “to be faithful in little things is a great thing.”

It also reminds me of words of “encouragement” which a number of people have given over the years when I was faced with illness or a difficult situation - “Offer it up.” These may be words that some of us do not like to hear, but there is truth in them. When these aches, pains, hurts or sufferings of any type, as well as fogginess of mind or any other discomfort are offered to the Lord in union with His suffering and/or for a specific intention, they have value (maybe even great value) – a value which many people are not aware of.

May each of us strive to remember our interconnectedness and strive to do our part of whatever the Lord is asking and encouraging us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment