26 June 2011

Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ

Today the Church celebrates the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (also known as Corpus Christi, from its Latin title). The assigned readings are Deuteronomy 8:2-3, 14-16; 1 Corinthians 10:16-17; and John 6:51-58. The assigned Responsorial Psalm is Psalm 147 (Psalm 147:12-15, 19-20).

Today’s Gospel Reading is as follows:

Jesus said to the Jewish crowds: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."

The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

For some reflections on these readings and on the feast we celebrate today, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: Are You a Man or A Mouse? A Reflection on the Solemnity of Corpus Christi (25 JUN 11)

A Concord Pastor Comments: We are what we eat. . . (24 JUN 11)

Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio: Corpus Christi: The Real Presence of the Body of Christ in the Eucharist

Dr. Scott Hahn: June 26th, 2011 - Corpus Christi: Word of the ‘Living Father’

The Lectionary: Jesus gave his flesh for the life of the world (23 JUN 11)

The Word Embodied: The Church of Unity

The Deacon's Bench: Homily for June 26, 2011: Corpus Christi (25 JUN 11)

Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio: Feast of Corpus Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment