21 August 2011

Matt Emerson on the Importance of Catholic Education

"In a few days, I am going to a place I know well and not at all. It's a place that brings forth joy and grief, genius and ignorance, calm and chaos, a place that makes me put on my tie in the morning with a mixture of hope and excitement for the day that lies ahead.

"I am a teacher. At about this time, in the waning days of August, where every ray of sun seems to set the air on fire, I feel like I did when, as a kid, my brother and I pulled out boogie boards and oversized towels for a pilgrimage to the beach. . . . Despite these happy days, the summer also brings with it another round of reflection on the state of education - on curriculum, on technology, on the continued deterioration of good writing, but especially on the forces and factors that threaten the model I love. . . .

"Catholic education is more important now than it has ever been. Below, I want to note a few reasons why teachers in Catholic schools, but especially those at the K-8 and high school levels, serve indispensable roles for students, their families, and the Church.

In a recent commentary, Matt Emerson, who teaches Theology at Xavier College Preparatory in Palm Desert, CA, reflected on the importance of Catholic education.

To access Mr. Emerson's complete post, please visit:

After Manresa: Catholic Education Matters (18 AUG 11)


No comments:

Post a Comment