29 November 2011

Jamie McAdams on "Cafeteria Catholics"

"I grew up Catholic.  I grew up proud of my faith.  I grew up ready to defend my faith.  I didn't know much about my faith growing up.  I didn't receive my first communion or reconciliation until I was in 7th grade.  Heck,  I wasn't confirmed until I was in my late twenties.  That didn't matter.  I identified myself as Catholic even though I probably couldn't tell you what that meant.   As such, I led a pretty secular life and did things that a person in my teens or twenties wanted to do. . . .

"I was ignorant about my faith and I lived that way.  But, if anyone would have asked me---I was Catholic--and PROUD OF IT!   Here is the deal though,  I don't think I ever spoke ill of the Catholic Church's teachings.   I've always trusted her teachings as truth even if I didn't always live by them or understand them.    I don't know what I would have done if someone would have questioned me about them. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Jamie McAdams reflected on "Cafeteria Catholics" and on the importance of educating oneself about the Church's teachings.

To access his complete post, please visit:

Roman Catholic Cop: Catholicism Is Not a Social Group (7 NOV 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment