28 February 2014

Randy Hain on Encountering Someone Angry with the Church

“Are we only called to share our faith with the faithful?  Evangelize the evangelized?  No, we are supposed to share the joy of our faith with everyone and sometimes that means Catholics who have fallen away from the practice of their faith.  Sometimes it also means talking about our faith with Catholics who are angry and bitter towards the Church.  Their reasons may vary, but how we engage with them may mean the difference between their possible return to the Church or losing them forever.

“I encountered one such person this week.

“As a favor to a client, I met a visiting business executive for coffee who wanted to relocate to Atlanta from another area of the country and needed help with her job search.  When our food and coffee arrived, I invited her to join me in a blessing of the meal and made the sign of the cross.  I noticed she gave me a funny look when I finished, but ignored it and moved into the discussion.  As I advised her on various ways she could connect with other leaders and job opportunities in our area, I mentioned how ‘faith friendly’ the Southeast is and that discussing faith, family and anything else she wanted when building new relationships was likely easier than where she was moving from.  I received my second funny look and had to respond.”

In a recent commentary, writer Randy Hain, Senior Editor for The Integrated Catholic Life, reflected on an encounter with someone who was angry with the Church. He explained how he listened patiently and then offered a positive alternative to her anger.

To access Mr. Hain’s complete post, please visit:

The Integrated Catholic Life: Love and Understanding, not Judgment (20 FEB 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment