08 April 2014

Elise Hilton on Government Toleration of Religion

“I am not concerned how my meat is butchered. I prefer my meat to be raised organically, and I like it cooked. Other than that, I’m not too fussy, but I don’t have to be. My religious faith doesn’t have anything to say about how meat is butchered.

“If a person is Jewish or Muslim, however, this is a big deal. And many Jews and Muslims take it as seriously as I take the tenets of my faith. And while they do not ask me to eat only meat that has been prepared in the way prescribed for them, I do believe they have the right to prepare their food the way they see fit.”

In a recent commentary, Elise Hilton reflected on how governments tolerate religions – until they don’t.

To access Ms. Hilton’s complete post, please visit:

Acton Institute PowerBlog: Religion: Fighting For Tolerance Or Existence? (1 APR 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment