30 August 2014

Bishop Coyne on Grace and Change

"[August 3] was the 50th anniversary of the death of novelist and Catholic Flannery O'Conner. In honor of the date I posted two quotes from her writings on my FaceBook page, both of which attracted quite a bit of attention. My favorite was this one, 'All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and change is painful.' This is not a new insight but it is one of which we often need to be reminded. St. Augustine in his Confessions famously wrote, 'As a youth I prayed, 'Give me chastity and continence but not yet.''"

In a recent commentary, Bishop Christopher Coyne, auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, reflected on grace and its relationship to change.

To access Bishop Coyne's complete reflection, please visit:

Let Us Walk Together (Thoughts of a Catholic Bishop): Random Musings of Faith - August 4, 2014

Background information:

Flannery O'Conner

No comments:

Post a Comment