25 January 2015

Msgr. Pope on "Knowing" as Understood in Scripture

"Every now and then someone will come past my door and request parish services of some sort. Maybe it's to plan a wedding, a baptism, or a funeral; maybe it's for money! And then I look at him or her and say, 'Who are you?' (since I don't recognize the person). 'Oh, well Father, you don't know me but my grandmother goes here; this is our family Church.' 'Oh, I see, but where do you go to Church?' I usually ask. The response is usually something like, 'Well, you know how it is Father, I don't get to Church too often … but my mother goes here.'

"Well, I've got news for you: your Mama's faith isn't going to save you. You gotta have your own faith. You have to know Jesus for yourself. There are some things you just can't borrow. Once, you depended on your mother and ultimately the Church to announce the True Faith to you. But at some point you have to be able to claim the True Faith as your own. Your mother can't go to Church for you and she can't believe for you."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on "knowing" as understood in Scripture (implying "an intimacy, a personal experience of another person, thing, or event") and on what this means for us

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says to Some, "I Do Not Know You"? (19 JAN 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment