31 March 2015

Haley Stewart on New Catholic Adults at Confession

"As we enter Holy Week, I've been thinking about all my friends and readers who are going through RCIA this year to be confirmed this Easter. Are you afraid about making your first Confession? I was. I was terrified. I was so excited to be confirmed, but the anxiety of making that first Confession loomed over me. It felt like an excruciating torture I was going to have to endure before being accepted into the Church.

"I remember so vividly coming to the end of the Penance service during Lent, lining up for the confessional and trembling. Most cradle Catholics I know are surprised to hear how scared I was, but they also haven't ever carried 25 years of unconfessed sin around. It's a tad intimidating.

"One of my anxieties was just the shame of telling someone out loud everything horrible I had done. As I waited for my turn, I realized my perspective was off. Jesus already knew. He already knew everything. And he was the only one that mattered. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer (and Catholic convert) Haley Stewart reflected on the process of making a first confession as an adult entering the Church.

To access Ms. Stewart's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: I Was a New Catholic, Trembling at Confession (31 MAR 15

No comments:

Post a Comment