20 March 2016

Msgr. Pope on the Role of Tradition in Our Lives

"When I was a young man - a teenager, really - I did the usual crazy stuff of the early '70s: kept my hair long; wore bell bottoms, wide ties, and crazy plaids; kept at least the top three buttons of my shirt open; and, of course, listened to rock-n-roll.

"But through it all I had this love for older things. I think it had something to do with my grandmother, Nana, whom I loved with great affection. She often lamented the loss of the old things and the old ways. She missed the Latin Mass. She missed when manners were better, when people remembered how to dress well, when things were more certain. She often told me how much she missed the beautiful old songs, the incense, the veils, the priests in cassocks, and so many other things. She had my ear; I was sympathetic.

"Somehow her love for older things and older ways took hold in me, even as I indulged in the silly trappings of the seventies. My parents' generation (born in the late '20s and '30s) and even more so the generation born after the Second World War were somewhat iconoclastic. The motto seemed to be 'Out with the old and in with the new … new and improved.'

"Much of the iconoclasm of the '50s through the mid-'80s has now given way; many older things are once again appreciated. As I brought some things down out of the attic of my parents' house in the early '90s, my mother (strangely) appreciated them again. Other family members took some of the old silver. My chalice was actually an old castoff that I had restored.

"Statues have begun to return to churches; some of the old hymns have returned. The Latin Mass, once relegated to the basement, has been dusted off and is now appreciated again by many (mostly younger) Catholics. I have also had the good fortune of being able to help restore two old churches to their former glory, undoing some of the iconoclasm from which they suffered. I even wear my cassock quite often.

"Traditions are established and endure for a reason. Fundamentally, they simplify life by giving structure, boundaries, and expectations. It is easier for people to navigate in the realm of tradition. But traditions begin to be endangered when people forget their purpose, when people forget where they came from or why they are observed, when people forget what they mean or symbolize."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the role of tradition on our lives (including our faith lives).

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: Without Our Traditions, Our Lives Would Be as Shaky as a Fiddler on the Roof! (10 MAR 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment