22 March 2016

Dawn Carpenter on Things Every Catholic Businessperson Must Know

"A few years ago, I had an interesting conversation with one of our country's most well-known and respected business leaders. It started as I was chatting with the man's wife, and she asked me what I did for fun. I could have told her I enjoyed golf, or gardening, or skiing, or any number of acceptable hobbies of a businessperson. Instead, I answered truthfully that I have a passion for learning what our faith has to teach us about business and our work in the world.

"Surprised, the wife called over her husband - and with him came the crowd. He was intrigued and wanted the 'elevator pitch' of what faith could do to inform business, beyond its admonishment about the rich man’s difficulties getting into heaven."

In a recent commentary, writer Dawn Carpenter reflected on several things that she believes every Catholic businessperson must know, including:
  • Man is called to work, and real value is not measured by money;
  • The Catholic Church is the repository of some of the richest and most relevant economic philosophy available to man;
  • Although imperfect, capitalism is the best model we have for organizing economic activity and ensuring the true development of the human person; and
  • 'For-profit' is not necessarily bad, just as 'non-profit' is not necessarily good.

To access Ms. Carpenter's complete post, please visit:

Catholic Stand: 5 Things Every Catholic Businessperson Must Know (16 MAR 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment