15 August 2016

Sr. Christina Neumann, O.S.F., on Seeing and Serving Jesus in Each Person We Encounter

"Sometimes, it may seem as though I'm running a race, as I hustle from one floor to another, doing aide work in our assisted living-type facility. St. Anne's Guest Home (where I work) is home to nearly seventy individuals, some of whom need a bit of assistance with their activities of daily living (e.g., dressing, bathing, etc.)

"Although my main work here is in the office, recent staffing challenges led me to fill in more frequently as a personal care aide as well.

"I feel truly blessed in the work. In serving each elderly or disabled person, I am able to serve the needs of Jesus who identifies Himself with the hungry, the thirsty, the sick, and the imprisoned (Matt. 25:35ff). The awesomeness of the opportunity to serve has struck me, on more than one occasion, as I wash out support hose stockings or help a resident into her pajamas. It is beautifully striking to realize Who I am privileged to serve in these people.

"I don’t waste any time in my work, not wanting to make others wait and having plenty to get done. (I've even acquired the nickname of 'Speedy' from one of our gentlemen.) However, a recent episode reminded me of the fact that each person is worth my time, worth stopping for, even when I'm busy."

In a recent commentary, Sister Christina M. Neumann, O.S.F. reflected on the blessing of seeing and serving Jesus in each person we encounter.

To access Ms. Carpenter's complete post, please visit:

Catholic Stand: "Keeping Our Eyes Fixed On Jesus" (5 JUL 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment