14 August 2016

Msgr. Pope on the Look of Christ

"I have a large icon of Christ in my room . . . . What icons from the Eastern tradition do best is to capture 'the look.' No matter where I move in the room, Christ is looking right at me. His look is intense, though not severe. In the Eastern spirituality, icons are windows into Heaven. Hence, this icon is no mere portrait that reminds one of Christ, it is an image that mediates His presence. When I look upon Him, I experience that He knows me. It is a knowing and comprehensive look.

"Particularly in Mark's Gospel, there is great emphasis on the eyes and the look of Jesus. A frequent expression in that Gospel is 'And looking at them He said ….' Such a phrase (or a similar one) occurs more than 25 times in Mark's Gospel.

"Looking on Christ and allowing Him to look on you is a powerful moment of conversion. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the importance of seeking the face of the Lord and looking to Him. 

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit: 

Community in Mission: The Look of Christ (4 AUG 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment