27 September 2018

Julia Bayly on the Work Needed on a 'Non-working' Farm

"Maybe it was the first time I had to wrap my tractor in electric blankets and down sleeping bags at 30 degrees below zero in the middle of a northern Maine snowstorm.

"Perhaps it was when I wrangled a chicken so I could clip her nails, which had grown inches too long.

"Then again, it could have been the first year I kept honeybees and snowshoed out to the hive every day that winter to feed them a special high-energy food and make sure the hive entrance was free of snow.

"I guess it doesn't matter if it was the tractor, the chicken or the bees. At some point it hit me exactly how much work goes into a non-working farm."

In a recent commentary, Bangor Daily News writer Julia Bayly reflected on the amount of work that actually goes into maintaining/working a "non-working" farm.

To access Ms. Bayly's complete essay, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment