16 March 2019

Allison Low on Authentic Freedom and the Culture’s Counterfeit Offering

"Conversations about moral issues today are often fueled with passion. But in many cases  I have found that they are also rooted in a great deal of misunderstanding about the idea of freedom. For many people in our modern culture, the freedom to choose is exalted to the point of rejecting truth and any authority outside of one's self.

"For example, I was recently having a conversation with an acquaintance about the moral issues of our day (abortion, same sex marriage, gender identity, euthanasia). The individual is an admitted relativist and he promoted the opinion I hear often.  'No one should impose their moral views on others,' he said. His arguments were typical as he continued by making the point that, 'Even though there are some actions I oppose personally, I cannot profess that everyone should hold these same values. Everyone should have the freedom to choose what is right and wrong and how they want to act.'

"This mindset is pervasive in our culture, yet it is also a very inconsistent ideology. In my conversation, I told him I hold there are absolute moral truths binding on all people. As an example, intentionally ending an innocent human life is murder. It is always wrong, such as in abortion or euthanasia.  In response he said that this is intolerant of other people's opinions and to enforce this as a law would be an act of oppression.

"I immediately pointed out to him the hypocrisy of such a position. As a relativist, he is claiming to be tolerant of subjectivity yet this did not to apply for people like me who hold to absolutes. I went on to explain that if people are consistent about allowing people to make gods of themselves, defining what is right and wrong, then we have to admit that anything goes. A relativist cannot criticize the Nazis, Stalin, the KKK or the 9-11 terrorists nor can he even hold these acts as being heinous and evil since that would be an absolute judgment.

"But the most important point I tried to make in my conversation was that at the heart of the relativistic worldview is a denial or blindness to the reality of who man is and what we were created for. While I agree that every person should have the freedom to choose, I oppose relativism, individualism, and subjectivism because I believe we should be fighting for something far greater."

In a recent commentary, writer Allison Low reflected on the true meaning of freedom.

To access Dr. Low's complete post, please visit:

Catholic Stand: Authentic Freedom and the Culture's Counterfeit Offering (14 FEB 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment