23 April 2020

Dr. Randall Smith on Blessings and Challenges of Mass Online

"Some people ask me what I think about teaching online. I ask them how they like watching Mass online. 'Really, that bad?'

"It's not that I don't admire attempts to do Mass online, nor am I ungrateful for the chance to participate, even if only 'virtually.' Still, it is a far cry from actually attending Mass.

"Others proclaim they are constantly 'yearning' for Mass. The danger for me is that I get spiritually numb. It's easy to get busy with work and just skip it without a thought. There's something good about having to get up and walk over to the chapel. You must commit to something, physically.  There's not the same movement either of the body or the spirit if I just click a link and then sit there and watch Mass, as if I were watching the video of an online lecture."

In a recent commentary, Dr. Randall Smith (professor of theology [Scanlan Foundation Endowed Chair in Theology] at the University of St. Thomas, Houston) reflected on some of the blessings and challenges that come with watching (participating?) in Mass online..

To access Dr. Smith's complete post, please visit:

The Catholic Thing: Mass Online (23 APR 20)

Background information:

University of St. Thomas: Faculty: Dr. Randall Smith

University of St. Thomas, Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment