27 June 2021

Msgr. Pope on Letting Go of Our Obsession with Having the Perfect Body

"Please permit  some musings on the obsession that many of us have with achieving the perfect body ourselves.

Let me start by saying (with all the good humor I can summon) that I do not have a perfect body. In fact, I have become increasingly dissatisfied with my appearance over the years as I gain weight, lose hair, and watch the gray eclipse the dark brown of what hair I do have left. Fatigue and sore joints are also increasingly my lot.

Yes, I am well aware that my body is far from perfect and is steadily 'heading south.' . . .Spiritually, I am now younger, more confident, and stronger, even as my body ages—thank you, Lord. And Lord, please spare me from the obsession with having the perfect body.

"Our culture’s obsession with the perfect body has terrible effects upon those who are younger as well. . . ."

In a recent commentary based on the advice given by Saint Gregory in his Pastoral Rule, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on some of the reason's for our culture's obsession with having the perfect body and on the reality of the effects of aging.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: Letting Go of Our Obsession with Having the Perfect Body (23 JUN 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment