22 May 2023

Bishop Henning on the State of Hope

"At the Mass of Reception on January 26, I told you about my surprise and delight when first encountering the Rhode Island State Flag with its Christian and Biblical symbol of the anchor and the motto 'Hope.' I told you then how grateful I felt to live in the State of Hope. That gratitude has only intensified in the months since that day as I have had the opportunity to visit so many communities, parishes, and schools in the Diocese of Providence. Thank you for the many times and ways that you have welcomed me to this beautiful state. As I now undertake the new ministry of serving as the Diocesan Bishop, I would like to offer some weekly thoughts in this column. It seemed fitting to recall my first words to you and entitle this column 'The State of Hope.'

"I am so pleased that this paper, the Rhode Island Catholic, has survived and thrived when so many other similar publications have ceased in recent decades. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Richard G. Henning, the new bishop of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the importance of the Catholic press in this diocese.

To access Bishop Henning's complete essay, please visit: 

The State of Hope: The State of Hope (18 MAY 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment