23 January 2020

John Garvey on Being Content with One's Looks

"I get my picture taken a lot. I'm not particularly photogenic, but as president of The Catholic University of America, people expect me to be in the frame for a lot of occasions, and it would be rude for me to refuse.

"There are also events like graduation and alumni weekend when I really want to meet people and shake hands, and inevitably someone is holding a camera. After a decade of this, I've begun to notice a difference in how I look. In a word, older. This is one part of my job description that I'd change if I could.

"My vanity was aroused by a recent piece in The Washington Post, about men in Silicon Valley who undergo all sorts of cosmetic procedures to look younger. The subject of the piece, a tech worker named Daniel, is living a double life - he is 48 years old, but his co-workers think he's in his 30s.
"


In a recent commentary, John Garvey (president of The Catholic University of America) reflected on treatments that are used to enhance one's appearance, on how these treatments may allow one to present a false face to the world, and on the blessing of being "content with your looks (and your wardrobe), and consider[ing] the lilies of the field."

To access Mr. Garvey's complete essay, please visit:

Boston Pilot: Echoes: John Garvey: Hold the Botox (22 JAN 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment