26 May 2022

Fr. Jack Loughran, OSFS, on Accepting God's Will

"A few weeks ago, I visited one of our senior Oblates residing in a local nursing facility. Due to back issues, he cannot walk or stand for any time, he needs assistance with basic activities. He also has mild dementia.

"As we spoke he surprised me, asking if he had any role in an upcoming Province Assembly scheduled for the end of June. Our Assemblies typically occur every June, and, health permitting, every Oblate in the Province attends. It is always a joyful time as men from different parts of the country come together, reconnect, share what has happened over the past year, pray, share meals, plan for our future, and generally have fun together. All of us look forward to this time.

"I was surprised he made this request because the Assembly is a four-day event, that includes travel, and spending the nights on site. Indeed, it is well beyond what is reasonable for him due to his health issues. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Father Jack Loughran, OSFS, reflected on this senior Oblate's subsequent reflection , which included “St. Francis de Sales teaches us to recognize and believe that God's will is found in the ordinary stuff of our lives. Due to my health, I know that I will not be able to participate in the Assembly. I know that I am where I am because I need to be, and it is God's will for me to find His embrace and place in His heart here. . . ."

To access Fr. Loughran's complete post, please visit:

De Sales Weekly: Provincial's Reflection: Accepting God's Will (25 MAY 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment