14 March 2023

Bishop Reed on a Penitential Mindset

"'Because of my many sins. . . .'

"If you know the phrase you probably heard it tagged on to the end of a sentence, muttered gently but with a droll sense of irony, as in: 'I've been appointed chair of the fundraiser . . . because of my many sins.'

"Or, 'They didn't know where to put Uncle Willie at the wedding so I said he could sit by me . . . because of my many sins.'

"The wry expression was, and perhaps is, most commonly heard from friends of an Irish, English or Scottish background, and for all that the phrase may mildly entertain, the theology behind it is sound. It runs along similar rails as the admonishment to 'offer up' our sufferings, large or small, but is its own distinct act, as well."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Robert Reed, Auxiliary Bishop of Boston, reflected on the importance of each of us having a penitential mindset during Lent and throughout the year.

To access Bishop Reed's complete post, please visit:

Rhode Island Catholic: Guest Editorial: Bishop Robert Reed: Penance, 'because of my many sins …' (2 MAR 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment