02 March 2023

Fr. Jack Loughran, OSFS, on the Practice of Penance

"Last Friday, I had fish for dinner.  It was a Friday during Lent, meaning most Catholics observe the meatless Friday rule by having fish on their dinner menu.  Fridays during Lent are one of the few times I eat fish. I don't like fish, never have, and probably never will but it's Lent, and I eat fish.  I've learned to tolerate this annual penance, not happily, but I sit at the table and quietly eat what I don't enjoy.  I do it because it helps me live the spirit of the season. 

"Eating fish on Lenten Fridays helps me remember that this season is a time for me to discover those things that are less tasteful in my life. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Father Jack Loughran, OSFS, reflected on the importance of remembering the practice of Lent and maintaining the spirit and focus of this penitential season.

To access Fr. Loughran's complete post, please visit:

De Sales Weekly: Provincial's Reflection: Eat Fish (2 MAR 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment