01 July 2024

Bishop Henning on Priestly Service

"Recently a friend asked me to identify the best thing about my first year as the Bishop of Providence. I responded by saying 'the priests!' last week in describing the purpose and work of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, I spoke of the bishop's role to sanctify, teach and govern. For that sacred calling, the Lord provides 'co-workers,' the priests, who are 'configured to Christ the eternal High Priest and joined to the Priesthood of the Bishops' (from The Roman Pontifical, ordination of priests). I have a special bond with my brother priests. They are my closest collaborators in ministry and essential to the life of the Church in Rhode Island. On a more personal note, I feel blessed to share in the mission with these good men. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Richard G. Henning, the bishop of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the life of priestly service and some of its challenges.

To access Bishop Henning's complete essay, please visit:

The State of Hope: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (30 JUN 24)

No comments:

Post a Comment