04 July 2024

Msgr. Stuart Swetland on Independence Day and Catholic Citizens

"Every day, in the left pocket of my clerical suit jacket, I carry a now very worn copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. I started carrying them when I lived on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

"I did so because it seemed to me that many had lost their copy in our nation's capital. I do not know how many 'arguments' I settled by carrying the actual texts with me, but it was more than a few.

"I know it is odd for a priest to carry these documents, but I take great comfort in doing so. As a veteran, I took several oaths of office to support and defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Stuart Swetland, president of Donnelly College and a U.S. Naval Academy graduate (serving six years as a U.S. Navy line officer), reflected on how one of the most vital services that Catholic Christians provide to the United States is "our witness to truth and the reasonableness of reason" (including "our witness to the natural moral law (knowable by all who use right reason) and to the norms of social justice").

To access Msgr. Swetland’s complete essay, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Commentaries: Msgr. Stuart Swetland: Independence Day and Catholic Citizens: Patriotic Witness in Word and Deed to Truth and Justice (4 JUL 24)

No comments:

Post a Comment