26 February 2010

Enjoying New England's Weather

One of the things I love about New England is the variety of weather we get, and I was reminded of that last night. I was heading home via bus in what the National Weather Service was calling “squally weather,” and I just missed a connection that would have brought me relatively close to home.

I could have waited about 45 minutes or so for another bus on the same route, but I chose to take an earlier bus heading to downtown Pawtucket and get off at a point where the walk would have been a little over a mile and a half.

The walk was definitely filled with wind and rain – even one of my boots ended up with an inch of water in it, and I did enjoy it (although  I forgot to do my “Singing in the Rain”).

A prayer I usually offer when I’m out, no matter what the weather is: "Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity to be out enjoying/experiencing Your creation. May I join with it in singing Your praises and giving You honor and glory."

Mark Twin has often been quoted in reference to the variety of weather in New England. This link will lead to the transcript of a speech he delivered at the New England Society's annual dinner in New York City on 22 December 1876:

Mark Twain's speech on New England weather

No comments:

Post a Comment