02 April 2010

Chaplet of Divine Mercy Novena

 A number of years ago I learned about Saint Faustina and the message of Divine Mercy. I have often tried to reflect this message in my life (including praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy), but it has been much too sporadic. Usually when Divine Mercy Sunday comes closer, I become a little more focused on this message, which is good.

A year ago I heard a presentation on the Divine Mercy message and the power of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. While I had previously been aware that this chaplet is a powerful prayer, I did not realize just how powerful it is, and I have made more of an effort to lift up various needs through this devotion (again my efforts often leave something to be desired).

One of the requests that Jesus asked of Saint Faustina was that the Feast of the Divine Mercy (which is celebrated on the Sunday after Easter) be preceded by a Novena to the Divine Mercy which would begin on Good Friday.  He gave St. Faustina an intention to pray for on each day of the Novena.

In her diary, St. Faustina wrote that Jesus told her: "On each day of the novena you will bring to My heart a different group of souls and you will immerse them in this ocean of My mercy . . . . On each day you will beg My Father, on the strength of My passion, for the graces for these souls."

Background information from the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy (Stockbridge, MA):
     The Divine Mercy Message
     The Image of The Divine Mercy
     Divine Mercy Sunday 
     The Divine Mercy Novena

No comments:

Post a Comment