18 May 2011

Mrs. Brennan's Garden

Something recently struck a memory chord and reminded me of my very first paying job - as a youngster before I began working for Oxley Drug.

My former fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Brennan, asked me to do some gardening for her. Memory tells me the work was to weed a flower garden. I had a bit of experience weeding the family vegetable garden, but little experience with flower gardens.

Before I headed over to Mrs. Brennan’s house (several blocks up the street), Mom encouraged me to do a good job. She also advised that this could lead to other assignments.

I was very meticulous about the work I did. However, when the designated time was up, I only had the garden half completed. I think we were both disappointed in the result - the work that was done was excellent, but there wasn’t enough of it done.

The experience ended up being a little introduction to both work and business.

No comments:

Post a Comment