28 August 2012

David Van Biema on Mother Teresa

“How do secular people remember a saint? As Mother Teresa’s birthday on August 26th and the anniversary of her death on September 5th approach, I found myself thinking about this. I tried to imagine what I would know about the woman, 15 years gone, if I didn’t write about religion for a living. Probably that she was good to the poor. Short. A friend of Lady Di’s. I concluded that unless I were a pious Roman Catholic, I would know very little, which led me to consider the difference between the way the Roman Catholic church treats its deserving dead and the way society at large does.”

In a recent commentary, Time Magazine columnist David Van Biema reflected on why it is important to remember Mother Teresa.

To access his complete essay, please visit:

Time: Ideas: Why Mother Teresa Still Matters (24 AUG 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment